Fitzgerald is a small town located in Ben Hill County in South Georgia, and its origination is nothing short of ironic. Mr. P.H. Fitzgerald, an attorney and newspaper owner from Indianapolis, had a vision of creating a “retirement community” for veteran Union soldiers to escape the brutal, northern winters. In 1895, his vision became a reality, and the colony of Fitzgerald was established, right in the heart of Confederate territory. By December 1896, the City of Fitzgerald had incorporated and was home to variety of people, not just Union soldiers. Today, just over 8,700 people call Fitzgerald, and its chicken-inhabited streets, home. In fact, to celebrate the city’s chicken population, Fitzgerald hosts an annual “Wild Chicken Festival” with food vendors, a crowing contest, and more fun activities.