"Lucedale was founded in 1901 when Governor A. H. Longino affixed his hand and seal to the proclamation, which incorporated the Town of Lucedale. At that time, there were 332 inhabitants.According to the 1970 Census, Lucedale grew to a population of 2,083. This population increase caused the Town of Lucedale to fall within the classification of "City". On February 22, 1977, the Secretary of State, Hever Ladner signed the official order declaring the town as the "City of Lucedale." Our community continues to grow while retaining its small town charm."